Resolving Construction Complications Before They Prevent You From Working

As a construction contractor, your mind is only on a few things. Build the building, pay and get paid on time, meet deadlines, and prevent injuries. However, when you build commercial buildings within city or town boundaries, there is a lot more with which you need to concern yourself. Not following city rules and regulations for new construction leads to fines and the shutdown of your project before you even get started. Prevent that using the following commercial permitting services.

Securing a Right-of-Way Permits

When your construction vehicles and equipment are going to be in the midst of traffic, you need to be able to keep your vehicles and equipment close at hand. This permit will allow you to keep everything within reach, and move it ahead of traffic and through traffic without incurring fines. You may find that this is one of the most useful permits you can secure.

Ordering Traffic Control Plans

Along with a right-of-way permit, make sure you get a traffic control plan, too. This allows you the official right to redirect traffic with the use of cones, signs, alternate traffic route signs, and even a traffic control officer if you need it. You already know if traffic around the proposed area is going to be heavy and complicated. Simplify some of the aspects of the job by getting traffic to go around your work zone.

Extensions of Building and Construction Permits

Usually, when you apply for a building or construction permit, you have to give an expected completion date. The permit clerk then stamps that date on the building permit. If you are missing deadlines and know that you will not complete the project by the time the building permit is up, you will have to get an extension of the permit so that you can finish the project. The other helpful thing you can do is to add three to six months to the expected completion date for the project and then you may not have to request and pay for an extension.

Certificates of Use

While you are in the permit office, be sure to get the correct "certificate of use," too. This has to be posted publicly on a construction site. It verifies that the type of building you are erecting is allowed by city ordinances and is not violating those ordinances in any way. It would not even matter if the city is the client commissioning the building; you still have to have a certificate of use.

Work with a permit company, like City Permit, for more help.